I’ve done my research and came up with a great compiled list of eco-friendly ways to clean your home in the best ways possible. I got on the green wagon originally to save a few dollars, but in the end I’ve learned these products really work. My home is refreshing now, and yours can be too. Try these out and you will see.
These user-friendly products are safe for children, pets, and allergen affected people.
- Baking Soda: The minerals in this slightly alkaline powder helps to dissolve proteins and neutralize acids to increase the cleaning power of detergents by balancing the pH level of the water. Pour some baking soda down a drain and add an equal amount of distilled white vinegar to create a foaming reaction within the drain and pipes which cleans and deodorizes the drain.
- Washing Soda: Also known as sodium carbonate decahydrate or soda ash, this natural mineral is effective for breaking down grease, removing stains, softening water, descaling coffee pots, espresso machines, and boilers.
- Club Soda: Use this versatile liquid cleaner primarily for laundry. It is effective in removing stains like blood, coffee, wine, chocolate, and other tough stains!
This is a safe alternative to bleach! It works to eliminate mold, mildew, and stains. It kills bacteria, including dangerous strains such as salmonella. Use hydrogen peroxide for any job that requires a bleaching! Bye, bye nasty chemicals!
Salt, a common household item can be used to clean, disinfect, and deodorize many areas of your home. Add salt to other green cleaning agents such as lemons to remove rust. As a paste it helps to remove burnt on materials on pans or in the stove. Mix flour, vinegar, and salt to clean and shine steel, gold, pewter, and silver. Keep your sponges soaking in a salt water solution when not in use to keep them germ free!
Distilled White Vinegar
Distilled White Vinegar is an excellent all-purpose cleaner! It can really cut through grease!
– Mix vinegar with equal parts of water in a spray bottle for glass, mirrors, and windows.
-You can also use this solution on your wood floors or plastic trash cans! (This will help not only disinfect, but will make it smell good!)
– Apply it on the shower head and other faucets in your bathroom to help you remove that stubborn mold and grime!
– Vinegar is gentle for the home, yet it is strong enough to eliminate scale, mildew, wax build-up, and stagnant odors.
Borax disinfects, deodorizes, softens water, and removes stains. Although this cleaner is a natural substance, you should keep it well out of the reach of children. Ingestion of this powder is toxic when swallowed, which makes it a good crawling insect repellent.
Soap is necessary to break down the grease and dirt! Choose a natural soap of whole oils/fats added with alkali. Use this versatile cleaning agent on nearly every surface in any room of your home.You can find this in liquid, bar, or powder form!
Many essential oils have deodorizing, disinfecting, and natural cleaning properties.
Mixed with eco-friendly cleaners, these oils give the home a pleasant aroma and a clean appearance. Lavender is one of my favorites!
Lemons can be used as a deodorizer, cleaner, and polisher. Use lemons in cleaners to give a fresh scent. The acid will help cut through grease while killing germs and leaving your house smelling citrus fresh!
Organic Olive Oil
Olive oil is great for use in many areas of the home. Use it as a spray for polishing stainless steel and wood. It will take the cracks and dryness out of leather. Remove gummy substances such as stickers or chewing gum. Add essential oil or lemon to the spray for added aroma.
Use vodka to aid with laundry to eliminate odors. It can also be sprayed on glass surfaces for a streak-free shine. Polish chrome and clean porcelain with a dab on a soft cloth.
Green and eco-friendly ingredients such as vinegar, salt, lemons, baking soda, and distilled water can be utilized as effective and pleasant smelling cleaners, disinfectants, and deodorizers. Inexpensive and safe. That’s the way we should all be heading, right? Find a professional cleaning service in DC and watch your home sparkle again!