There are few places in your home that require more cleaning and that may need more chemicals to get them clean than the bathroom.
If your goal is to make cleaning your bathroom a greener process, here’s a list of ideas:
1. Ensure that your bathroom stays well aired out. Be sure that you keep air flowing through it by opening the window or running the ventilation system after showering. This helps cut down on overall humidity and reduces the potential for mold growth.
2. Select a shower curtain that is environmentally friendly, choose green materials like organic cotton, hemp, and linen. Avoid PVC and vinyl.
3. Opt for naturally formulated/homemade cleaners: more conventional cleaners can create fumes that are toxic to breathe. The best ingredients to select for your homemade cleaners are cheap and readily available — vinegar and baking soda. Spray your shower every time you use it with vinegar diluted in water to help limit mold growth. You can also opt to select from the numerous green products available on the market today.
4. Pick out an install a shower head with low water flow. This type of shower head utilizes half the water of a normal shower head. This allows you to take long, hot showers without wasting the water that a regular shower head will. You’ll be able to relax your muscles and protect the environment at the same time.
5. Turn the water off when you’re not using it. You can do activities like brushing your teeth or shaving without actually running water to do so. Conservation is very important, and allows you to reduce water wasted for non-important tasks.
6. Select bathroom linens made from bamboo or organic cotton. This includes your wash cloths, bath mats, bath towels, and other soft items. The world uses over 25% of its insecticide growing conventional cotton. Bamboo makes an excellent alternative, as it washes well, is soft to the touch, and has natural antibacterial properties to help keep disease spread low.
Select the most natural personal care products you can. Take the time to read product labels carefully, and stay away from ingredients that are derived from petroleum sources when you are purchasing deodorant, shampoo, soaps, and makeup. There are a wide variety of naturally derived products available to pick from, and you can try them out until you find the one that is perfect for you.
Opt for lightbulbs that are environmentally friendly – choose either LEDs or CFLs. These options are highly efficient, cheaper over time, provide great quality light, and help reduce pollution.
Add a touch of green to your bathroom to help clean the air and beautify the environment. There are numerous houseplants that are very happy in the low light, warm, humid environment that a bathroom provides.
You can complete any (or all) of these improvements for a low investment. Add a bit of money to your bathroom at a time and call us today, and you’ll find that it becomes greener, cleaner, and a lovely environment to relax in thanks to a Think Maids professional.